Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Will the REAL coach please stand up?



Division III basketball at the Valley Wide Rec Center in Murrieta comprises boys and girls from 5th and 6th grade. My girlfriend and I each have a boy in the respective grades...lucky for us, right? Well the only way for these division III best friends to play on the same team is for their parents to coach their team. At his request and not wanting to add anything more to my plate, we got permission from the league director for my 9th grade son to coach his little brothers team...as long as I sign up as the head coach. He assures me that he will take charge and I have nothing to worry about! We received a phone call about the draft late Monday night. "The draft will be tomorrow night," a voice on the other end states. "Wait...", I'm thinking..."my son (the real coach), will be at Disneyland for his birthday tomorrow night along with his little brother, hopeful teammate and hopeful teammate's mom! That leaves only me...the reluctant head coach to attend the draft!" My son (the coach), pours over his chicken scratch notes from tryouts of who I need to get and also those on the "absolutely NOT" list. I translate it into something useful and wearily head out to the draft Tuesday night. Sitting in a conference room full of jovial men with an underlying Mark Cuban mentality, I draw out my first number for round 1 picks...#5. The night didn't get much more hopeful as every round I either drew a #5 or #6 (out of seven numbers). However, when it was all said and done, I managed to put together a pretty good team, securing at least 2 players from the coaches top 10 list along with his little brother and best friend. I was offered to do some trading but upon realizing the other team was willing to trade 2 of their players who were on my "absolutely NOT" list, I politely declined stating my reasons why. I felt pretty good as I was leaving the conference room knowing I had the "ball in my court". Lets just hope it stays that way.

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Linda....you can do it....after all it's basketball - how bad could it be??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I call this the "Mom" syndrome! We always want the best for our kids and this experience for you and your boys will probably be so much fun! I some how managed to yes to being on the middle school PTSA board. What was I thinking, I've got 4 classes this semester? It's called "Mom" syndrome! Couldn't say no.

    ReplyDelete