Thursday, September 17, 2009

Chalk it up for EXPERIENCE

Yesterday I took my 2nd test since I have been an official college student. I had a boost of confidence after scoring 100% on last weeks test in my "history of jazz and blues" class. However, I suspected this test in "environmental geology" wasn't going to be as clear cut.

I did one final review of my 3 inch stack of flash cards before my teacher (Mr. Indiana Jones as I like to think of him), passed out the tests and then away I went. So far so good as I'm on question 10 of the 53 question test. Then all of a sudden I get to page 3....what in the heck is this!? Ok...so maybe the teacher "mentioned" this in his discussion but I KNEW it wasn't in any of our notes. I felt a rush of panic; then irritated, I skipped over it and decided to come back to this page later. The rest of the test wasn't too bad, although I felt my brain being quickly drained of any future memory capabilities.

As I'm nearing the end of the test, the teacher announces that when we are done, we are free to leave OR if we want to stay he'll review the test after everyone is done. He also added that he won't be reviewing it any other day, so this is it. I look around and see only a few people working. Those that wanted to stay are looking bored. My hands start to quiver and I felt a flash of perspiration spring from my body. The pressure was on to get this test done quick. I'm down to the last 3 problems, however I still have to go back and make my best guess for the questions on page 3. Pretty soon, I realize all eyes are on me as I'm the only one that hasn't finished. The teacher kindly nears my desk to see my progress. I politely ask if I can go to another room to finish as I just realized that my calculated answer for question 50 is going to affect question 51, 52 and 52! I can't double-check my work under this stress!

Luckily I got to finish in a nearby classroom. I made my best guess for the questions on page 3 and then left while my teacher was still reviewing it with those that had stayed.

If I actually end up as a teacher someday, I decided this particular experience is one I won't be incorporating into my method of teaching. I thought about my my music teacher and appreciated his instruction because he made sure we knew what to expect, allowed enough time for the exam and then reviewed it the following day.

In my opinion, Mr. Indiana Jones' expertise is definitely out exploring.

No comments:

Post a Comment